|Catering at Northbourne Park
At Northbourne Park, our aim, in tune with our families at home, is to provide children with a nutritious and well-balanced diet, giving them the fuel they need for their busy and stimulating school lives.
We teach our children both to balance their lives in school and their diets, educating their palates and encouraging them to take an interest in good food from around the world.
• Our own highly-qualified staff prepare and cook all of our meals; they are not out-sourced to outside caterers.
• We only use fresh ingredients and the highest quality products, which, whenever possible, are sourced from local and reputable suppliers.
• All of our eggs are free-range.
• We cook with minimal salt and do not offer salt on the tables, although children can ask for it….few do! We also only use salt-free butter and vegetable spread.
• All vegetables are steamed rather than boiled, to maintain their maximum mineral and vitamin content.
• We offer nutritious and appetising food, and choice. We always offer a salad bar with a variety of choices.
• Water is served with every meal and squash is available at all times throughout the day. Our brains work better when well-hydrated!
• Our children naturally eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and drink lots of water in order to keep their immune systems in peak condition.
We are inspected once a year by the Environment Department for Dover District Council to make sure that we comply with the Food Regulations Act. As a result of these inspections, we have gained the White Cliffs Clean Food Award and the Heart Beat Award for healthy food.
OFSTED inspectors praised the standard of the food at the last inspection, in which the pupils raised not a single complaint about the food, the first time that the inspector had found this in a school .
Such is her reputation that Lesley Oliver, our Head Chef, advises other school caterers on diet and food.